Click on the links below to see details.
Builds and Leads Stellar Engineering TeamsManaged International Distributed Teams. Created multi-corporation development teams to pursue industry-wide projects with team members and budget donated by Digital, IBM, HP, Apollo, MIT. Led cross-functional collaborative development of corporate architectures with team members and budget donated by groups across engineering, product management and marketing. Managed cross-engineering collaborative development teams to pursue projects of common corporate interest with team members and budget donated by groups across software and hardware engineering. Attracted multiple complete startup company executive teams.
Develops Product-line PlansResearched market and customer needs to develop product requirements. Delivered complete multi-tier product-line plans, including competitive analysis, market analysis, competitive positioning, competitive strategy, product requirements, product road-maps, ROI requirements, pricing models and launch strategies.
Invents Disruptive TechnologiesPioneered the use of metadata-driven and meta-programming infrastructures to dramatically reduce development cost of one-off products and iterative product lines. Created knowledge-based and rules-driven business information services that automate business processes. Architected mobile distributed agents that implement policy-directed management. Designed template-driven user interfaces that provide multi-dimensional display of information. In addition to software innovations. I've invented a new class of wireless computing components, new approaches to light-weight structural composite laminates and hybrid energy systems.
Develops Leading-edge Product LinesConsistently delivered products and product lines that led the competition within their markets. These products included Partner Relationship Management Suite, Field Service Suite, FieldWave Operations, Maintenance, Repair and Replenishment Suite, ObjectLens 3D Graphical User Interface, WebView Integrated Management Application, LaunchPanel Integrated Management Health Monitor, Management Protocols, CommonAgent, ManageFactory, Palladium Print System and OSF Distributed Management Environment.
Reduces Development Time and CostsCut development costs 90% across multiple engineering organizations through common metadata-driven infrastructures. Delivered enterprise-class products under budget (<$250K) and under schedule with half the expected resources.
Architects Enterprise Wireless and Web-based ApplicationsDelivered the following architectures:
- Multi-platform mobile device meta-data-driven GUI infrastructure
- Multi-tier wireless field service automation system
- Highly secure, Java-based business portal product lines
- Rules-driven, workflow-based, object-oriented, transaction-enabled e-commerce servers for Partner Relationship Management and Business Knowledge Management
- Reusable meta-data driven foundation to speed development of add-on products, reduce long-term maintenance costs and ease customization by integrators and customers
- DICOM-conformant Grayscale Monitor Auto-calibration system
- U.S. Treasury Pay.gov Architecture
- Palladium Print System
- Digital Print Systems Model
- Digital Accounting Model
- Digital Broker Model
- Digital DECnet CMIP architecture
- Digital Enterprise Management Protocol Strategy
Manages Technical Standards StrategyWhile competitors and customers believe in standards that are fair, impartial and open, a company's competitive interests are more often met by seeking unfair, proprietary and closely controlled advantage. The open standards process is valuable to a company in building a positive market reputation and building a community of potential customers. The challenge is to lead standards in a fair, impartial and open manner while internally pursuing an aggressive competitive strategy. The standards process can be exploited as an integral part of competitive strategy by using the process to:
- create standards based on “commodity” technologies to broaden the market-share for value-added products;
- standardize basic functionality, highlighting and more clearly differentiating value-added features of products;
- drive markets to excellence to winnow out less capable vendors and focus potential competition;
- deliver open source software for commodity functionality which hobbles the revenue streams of competitors with narrower visions.
Leads International Standards and ConsortiaIn support of competitive standards strategies, chaired:
- OSF Management SIG Chair
- X/Open System Management WG Deputy Chair
- IETF OSI Internet Management Co-Chair
- POSIX System Management Vice Chair
Negotiates International and Industry StandardsParticipated directly and indirectly in:
- Object Management Group
- InfoTest - National Center for Manufacturing Science
- VehiX - Society of Automotive Engineers
- ISO 10175 Distributed Printing Application
- ECMA Distributed Printing Application
- OSF Distributed Management Environment RFT
- IETF RFC 1214 OSI Internet Management MIB
- IETF Draft RFC Management Services Interface
- IETF RFC 1189 CMOT: Implementers Agreements for CMIP for the Internet
- IETF RFC 1006 CMIP protocol reference implementation
- IETF RFC 1559 DECnet Phase IV MIB
- ISO 10164-11 Accounting Meter Function
- ANSI X3T5.4 OSI Management Accounting Group
- X/Open System Management WG
- POSIX System Management WG
- Desktop Management Task Force
- Enterprise Management Forum